scarce records

welcome to 'scarce records,' a blog to showcase and discuss some of the most interesting vinyl releases ever pressed as well as the record collecting hobby itself. each post will feature a different record with information on the release, how i came across it, its supposed book value and anything else that might be relevant. new records are posted at least three times per week.

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Otis Redding - Pain In My Heart (Atco 33-161)

Today we'll showcase an amazing early soul album, the debut release of legend Otis Redding. This, if my memory serves me (and it probably doesn't) is the only Redding release on Atco. I think he switched over to his primary label Volt shortly after this before going on to a variety of other things. I know Stax records (perhaps the owner of or owned-by Atco?) had something to do with this release as well. All but two of the songs were recorded in January of 1964, the other two being released on LP for the first time after having been hit singles earlier. The song "These Arms Of Mine" is my personal favorite and I guess it was Redding's first major hit. Goldmine tells me the record is valued at $250. Mine is not in top notch condition but I also think Goldmine's estimate is conservative for this seminal early soul release. This one was found at Smiley's Flea Market in the Macon/Warner Robins area. One of the regulars up there somehow always comes up with good stuff and retains a decent amount of it by not blowing it out at super cheap prices. I think this one cost me somewhere in the $8-12 range. As I've mentioned in the past, that's a little more than I like to spend on records from flea markets but obviously I am willing to make exceptions.
This entry is the first of the new assortment of photos which aren't super dark. Most of the photos from now on will look like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment